Sunday, July 1, 2007

First Century o' the Year

I bagged the idea for a full weekend tour, instead opting for a long Saturday ride on the Luce Line trail. I have been more and more intrigued by these long trails we have leading right out of the city. Pretty unbelievable that it's taken me a few years to realize they are even there. The Luce Line is a former electric light rail line. I intended to ride the full length (63 miles) of the trail and back, but I got a late start and didn't eat enough. I'll plan to do this ride again soon, although it would be a shame to speed ride such a beautiful trail. I'm thinking about packing the bags, working my way to the end of the trail (about 90 miles from home I think), and camping before a return ride. It would be the perfect high mileage weekend tour, right out the back door. The Ox Yoke Inn would make a pretty awesome diversion. Plenty of bike racks and they don't mind filling water bottles.
The day was hot and sunny. Lunch in Winsted was a welcome break. Here I am celebrating the joys of Gatorade. A rest stop on the way back. The Luce Line begins as crushed limestone and progressively fades into a dirt/gravel mix the farther west you ride. It really makes you feel like you're trekking. (Or maybe it's my Brooks bar tape that makes me feel like I'm trekking.)

No comments: