Friday, September 14, 2007

NYC Style

Minneapolis suffers a bit from being perhaps one of the most "un-cosmopolitan" major metropolitan cities in the U.S. We might be dwarfed by the glitz of New York, the prestige of San Fran, LA, etc. Maybe that helps explain what happened at Critical Mass on Friday, August 31st when MPD appears to have taken a page out of the NYPD playbook. I wasn't there -- I'll throw that out as a disclaimer up front. I'll also admit that I've only ridden a handful of Masses. It's mainly an issue of scheduling; I just can't get to the rendezvous point at rush hour. C'est la vie. However, I'd also be doing myself and anyone reading my petty commentary a disservice if I also did not admit that I am still divided about the tactics of C.M. The point is valid. I get it and couldn't agree more -- C.M. is a way for cyclists to get out front and be seen, to make a bold statement: "We're traffic, dammit! Recognize us." And while some may disagree, it is a totally peaceful demonstration. Well, except for the occasional belligerent motorist who guns it down the opposite lane to pass the group. And, oh yeah, until cops step in with tasers and mace.

Enter Exhibit A: Vicious Cycle A tasty nugget courtesy of City Pages. Enjoy, or better yet, get enraged. Channel that rage constructively, grasshopper. It's a mad world folks, when a peaceful group of bikers need to be tailed by state patrol officers and a helicopter; insulted with sexist, demeaning comments; and assaulted with pepper spray and tasers.

Let's end on a happy note with a short quote I ripped off someone's email signature:
“The hardest part of raising a child is teaching them to ride bicycles. A shaky child on a bicycle for the first time needs both support and freedom. The realization that this is what the child will always need can hit hard.”
Sloan Wilson

Here, here. Have a great weekend. I'll be pedaling in northern 'Sconnie.

No comments: