Monday, March 23, 2009

Happy Spring

I know, I'm a few days late. I was busy soaking in the warm sun. We not only crossed the seasonal line on the calendar, we got the weather to match. It has been amazing. Something I learned quickly after moving here is that Minnesotans love to talk about the weather. I think that is in part because we get some damn fine weather along with the dramatic stuff. Honest, in-your-face weather. "You can't hide anything from your Mom" kinda weather. It can be brutal and it can also be brutally kind. I love it.

My love of weather is a primary reason I like riding my bike so much. You can't hide from the weather on a bike. I realize this is a huge obstacle for some people. It's hard not to exude some level of smug superiority for willingly subjecting my body to the wide range of outdoor elements. I remind myself often that many consider it foolish. Besides, I have a confession. This past winter I drove to work at least one day a week for the latter part of the season. I wanted a break and for the most part it was rewarding. You want to know a weird thing though? I'd predetermine the day I would drive since April doesn't need the car on Wednesdays and Fridays. As if the weather itself were taunting me we'd often get some break in the cold or precip. I estimate I drove on some of the nicest riding days of winter. Go figure.

So all this bragging about weather and I have to admit this morning was vexing -- mid 40s and wind-driven rain. The wind had some sort of sixth sense -- it shifted every time my route changed direction just so it could remain in my face. A co-worker who also pedaled this morning confirmed it. The wind has a bee in its bonnet for bikers.



In other more important news: Willa Fleck turned 1 year old today! We hosted a wee shindigger yesterday in her honor. April made a wonderful cake. The kids played and fell and played some more. Willa made out like a bandit and scored some nice stuff including a rocking moose from IKEA. I got to do what I love to do at parties -- hang out back by the grill, roasting tasty bits and drinking beer. I actually had a couple of friends wielding planes in the shop by the end of it all. It was a fun time. Livin' the dream, as a friend of mine is prone to say.

Maybe it is livin' the dream.

Snow's on its way tomorrow. Happy spring!

No comments: